UGC NET 2023: Eligibility Criteria, Exam Date, Application Form
The UGC National Eligibility Test 2023 or UGC NET 2023 is national level exam conducted with an aim to determine the candidates’ eligibility for the post of Assistant Professor and junior research fellowship. The National Testing Agency (NTA) will organize and manage this exam on behalf of UGC. In order to apply for the exam, the candidates have to fill the application form that will available in online mode. The aspirant looking to apply for the UGC NET 2023 must note that the NTA will conduct this exam twice in a calendar year. The first exam will take place in the month of June 2023 and the second exam in the month of December 2023.
It is an online exam in which the candidates have to answer 150 Questions in 3 hours. The aspirants should check the eligibility criteria very carefully before submitting the UGC NET 2023 application form.
UGC NET 2023 Main Highlights
- This exam will determine the eligibility criteria for Assistant Professor & Junior Research fellowship both or Assistant Professor only in various universities and colleges.
- While filling the application form, the candidates have to provide the choices of 4 exam center cities.
- There is no facility of slot booking for the UGC NET exam.
- The exam will take place in two sessions i.e. July session and December session.
- For the post of JRF, the age of an applicant should not be more than 30 years as on 1st March 2023 (for July 2023 session)/ 1st June 2023 (for December 2023 session).
- It is a computer-based test that will be conducted in online mode.
- There is no provision for negative marking in the exam. So, the candidates may attempt all the questions.
The NTA will conduct the UGC NET exam twice. The tentative schedule for the same is as follows:
|Important Events||Tentative Dates|
|June 2023 Session||December 2023 session|
|Release of official notification||1st week of February 2023||Last week of August 2023|
|Starting of online application form submission||1st week of March 2023||1st week of September 2023|
|Last date for the submission of application form||Last week of March 2023||Last week of September 2023|
|Last date to submit the application fee||1st week of April 2023||Last week of September 2023|
|Availability of Correction window||2nd week of April 2023||1st week of October 2023|
|Release of Admit Card||3rd week of May 2023||3rd week of November 2023|
|Date of Examination||3rd week of June 2023 to last week of June 2023||2nd week of December 2023 to 3rd week of December 2023|
|Display of Answer key and candidate’s response||1st week of July 2023||1st week of January 2023|
|Announcement of result||3rd week of July 2023||2nd week of January 2023|
UGC NET 2023 Eligibility Criteria
Here are the eligibility criteria for UGC NET 2023 that every candidate need to fulfill.
For Junior Research Fellowship
- The age of a candidate must be less than 30 years as on 1st March 2023 (for June 2023 session).
- A relaxation of up to 5 years in the upper age limit is applicable for the candidates belonging to OBC/ SC/ ST/ PwD/ Transgender categories.
- The women candidates will also get relaxation of up to 5 years in the upper age limit.
- In case the candidate has an LLM degree then he/she will get a relaxation of up to 3 years.
- The candidates who have served in the armed forces will also get relaxation in upper age limit of up to 5 years.
For Assistant Professor
- There is no upper age limit for the candidates applying for Assistant Professor.
- The applicant must have a master’s degree from a recognized institute/ university with a minimum of 55% marks (50% marks for SC/ ST/ OBC/ PwD candidates). Kindly note that the candidates with a master’s degree in Humanities (including languages) and social science, Computer Science and applications, electronic science etc. can apply.
- In case the candidate is going to appear for the final year exam of Master’s degree in the year 2020 then he/she can also apply.
- The candidates waiting for the final year result of Master’s degree exam are also eligible.
Note: The Ph.D degree holder whose Master’s degree completed before 19th September 1991 will get relaxation of 5% in the qualifying marks (i.e. from 55% to 50%)
Exemption (Eligibility for the post of Assistant Professor)
- Please note that it is compulsory for the candidates to clear the SET/ NET/ SLET exam in order to apply for the post of Assistant professor in various Universities.
- If the candidate has successfully cleared the SET exam for Assistant Professor before 1st June 2002 then he/she need not appear for the UGC NET 2023 exam.
- The aspirants who have cleared the CSIR/ UGC/ JRF exam before 1989 are exempted from the UGC NET exam.
UGC NET 2023 Application Form
Here are the complete details about UGC NET 2023 application procedure.
- The application process starts with the online registration of the candidates.
- In order to register, the aspirants need to provide some basic details like Name, Father’s Name, date of birth, mobile number, and email address.
- Please note that one email address and phone number is valid for one application form only.
- After registration, the candidates can start filling the application form.
- The candidates should fill the necessary educational, personal and contact details in the application form very carefully.
- While filling the application form, the candidates have to choose the subjects for the exam and exam center cities.
- Then, the aspirants need to upload the scanned images of the Passport size photograph (10 kb to 200 kb) and signature (4 kb to 30 kb).
- Please note that the applicants must sign on white paper with Black ink only.
- After uploading the images, the candidates may submit the application form and pay the application fee.
- Finally, the candidates must take a print out of the confirmation page for their own record.
The application fees that the candidates have to pay in order to apply for the UGC NET 2023 are as follows:
- General/ Unreserved candidates: Rs. 800/-
- Other Backward Classes (OBC) (Non-Creamy Layer): Rs. 400/-
- SC/ ST/ PwD candidates: Rs. 200/-
Mode of Payment
- The candidates can pay the application fee through online mode i.e. Credit/ Debit card, Net Banking, UPI in HDFC/ ICICI/ Syndicate bank.
- In addition to this, the candidates may also deposit the fee by cash through e-challan in Syndicate bank branches.
Note: The aspirants should keep a print out of the fee payment receipt for future requirement.
Provision for Aadhar Card
- The latest notification of NTA clearly states that the Aadhar number is not at all mandatory for UGC NET 2023 application.
- Apart from the Aadhar, the candidate may apply using Ration Card number, passport number, Bank Account Number or any other valid Government ID proof.
- The NTA will also provide the facility to correct the wrong data submitted in the application form.
- Please note that this is a one-time facility that will be made available for a limited period of time after the submission of application form.
- The correction in an application form is not possible after the closure of application correction window.
- The correction process of the application form will take place in online mode on the official website only.
- The applicants who will submit the application form along with fee before the last date can download the admit card in online mode.
- In order to download the admit card, the candidates have to visit the official website of NTA.
- Every applicant should keep in mind that the authorities will not send the admit card by post.
- All the information regarding the exam date, timing and venue will available on the UGC NET Admit Card 2020.
- It is mandatory for every candidate to have the following documents at the time of exam.
- Printout of the admit card downloaded from the official website of NTA
- One passport size photograph (similar to the one uploaded in the application form)
- One photo identity proof in original such as Passport/ Voter ID/ Driving License/ PAN card/ Aadhaar Enrolment No/ Ration Card.
- PwD certificate (if applicable)
UGC NET 2023 Exam Pattern
Here is the exam pattern of UGC NET 2023 that every aspiring candidate should know.
- Mode of Examination: Online (Computer Based Examination)
- Number of Papers: 2 i.e. Paper I and Paper II. (Paper I is common for all candidates, Paper II is based on the subject selected by the candidates)
- Duration of Exam: 3 Hours (1 hour for Paper I and 2 hours for Paper II)
- Type of Questions: Objective Type multiple choice questions.
- Number of Question: 150 Questions ( Paper I will have 50 questions and Paper II will have 100 questions)
- Total marks: 300 marks (100 marks for paper I and 200 Marks for Paper II)
- Marking Pattern: Each question will carry 2 marks
- Negative Marking: There is no provision for negative marking so the candidates can attempt a maximum number of questions.
|Papers||Number of Questions||Exam Duration|
|Paper I (common for all candidates)||50||1 hour|
|Paper II (on the basis of subjects selected by the applicants)||100||2 hours|
|Total||150 questions||3 hours|
- The UGC NET exam is conducted for approximately 100 subjects. That’s why the candidate should check the syllabus of the particular subject from the NTA website.
- The part I of the NET exam is common for all the candidates. In this part, the questions are generic in nature that aims to assess the research/ teaching aptitude of the applicant.
- In part I of the exam, the questions will be asked on the following topics – reasoning ability, divergent thinking, comprehension and general awareness.
- UGC NET Answer Keys 2023 will available a few days after the exam.
- Apart from the answer keys, the authorities will also display the candidate’s response to the answer.
- In case a candidate is not satisfied with the answer key then he/she may challenge the answer key.
- In order to submit the challenge, the applicant needs to pay Rs. 1000/- per question.
- The official link to challenge an answer key will available on the NTA website after the exam.
- Finally, after evaluating the challenges, the NTA will release the final answer Key.
- There is no provision to challenge the final answer key.
- The NTA will declare the UGC NET Exam 2023 result in online mode through its official website.
- To check the result, the candidates have to visit the NTA website and provide their roll numbers.
- Apart from the result, the authorities will also release the merit list of successful candidates.
- Please note that in order to qualify, the students need to clear the cutoffs of both Paper I and Paper II.
UGC NET 2023 Selection Criteria
The steps or pattern for the creation of UGC NET merit list are as follows.
- The total number of qualified candidates will be equal to 6% of the total number of applicants who will appear in both the papers of exam.
- Apart from this, the reservation policy of the government of India will also be applicable during the selection process.
- In order to be eligible for the post of Assistant Professor or both JRF and Assistant Professor the candidates must score at least 40% marks in both the papers. For SC/ ST/ OBC –NCL/ Transgender/ PwD candidates, the required marks is 35%.
Issuance of Certificate
- The aspirant must note that the role of NTA is just to conduct the exam. It will not issue the certificates.
- In order to get the e-certificate, the qualified candidates need to contact the UGC – NET bureau.
UGC NET Bureau,
University of Delhi, South Campus,
Benito Juarez Marg, New Delhi,
Phone Number – 011-24116316, 24115416, 24115419